Friday, May 30, 2008

Way Too Young!

I remember watching Oprah years ago, she stated that 40 was the new 20. People in their forties were healthier, happier, and more beautiful than ever. I found this to be very untrue when I turned 40.

I turned 40 on February 27, 2005. Six weeks later, I walked a half block to get my great-nephew from the bus stop. On the way back, I heard a very loud pop and lost my vision. I stopped in my tracks. I remember thinking "What was that, was I just shot?" I started feeling very ill. I didn't want to scare Ja'Cory, though I was beginning to really freak out.

I told him we were going to play a game, that I couldn't see and he had to get me home. He said "Oh Aunt Theresa, your sooo silly" , then he took my hand and lead me home. I went straight to bed with the garbage can next to me, sure I was going to be sick. This was on a Friday. I stayed in bed all weekend getting up only to go to the restroom or get a snack. My family members were making fun of me calling me "crazy eyed chicken head" because apparently I had my eyes open so wide they thought they would pop right out of the socket and my head was bobbing...cuz it hurt sooo bad! I was only trying to see. I was however seeing shawdows now.

By Sunday evening, my husband told me that I BETTER find a ride to the ER the following morning. He was going to San Antonio to be with his mother during a major surgery. He also told me that if they didn't find anything wrong, he was commiting me to the State Hospital....feel the love? LOL


There was no change in my vision Monday morning. I was wondering what it was going to be like in the state hospital...would they let me have my scrapbooking supplies?
My daughter-in-law took me to the hospital. I told her to just go home, I would call her when I was done. After all, there was no need for both of us to waste our day in the emergency room.

I was put in a room and waited for what seemed like hours before the doctor came in. I explained what had happened and the problem with my vision. He ordered a CAT Scan. After that, I waited back in the room for what seemed like the rest of the hours in the day. I had drifted off to sleep. The doctor touched my arm to wake me up, which had startled me. He said "You have had a stroke, another doctor will be in to admit you" , and away he walked.

What? A stroke? I just turned forty...I was too young to have a stroke! My kids were grown, it was time to start the rest of my life. I think they made a mistake!

There I was, all alone and in shock. I didn't have the nurses call button, or if I did, I couldn't find it. I could see shadows of people passing by. I began to yell "hello" everytime someone would pass until someone finally came in. "Yes?" "Could you show me where the phone is?", I had asked. "Let me get you a nurse", came a reply. To this day, I still don't know who came into my room. Pin It

1 comment:

Beach said...

Wow that must have been soooo scary and then to be by yourself must have made it worse. Hugs to you,
Heather :)

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...